How to Be Surgical Nursing Technician - Job Description, Skills, and Interview Questions
The role of a Surgical Nursing Technician is essential in a surgical setting. They are responsible for sterilizing and preparing the operating room, providing patient care before, during, and after surgery, and ensuring the safety of the patient. This demanding job requires excellent organizational skills and knowledge of medical terminology, as well as a strong attention to detail.
The impact of a Surgical Nursing Technician is far reaching; their presence helps to ensure the success of the surgery, reduce the risk of infection, and provide comfort and reassurance to the patient. In addition, their work helps to create a positive reputation for surgical centers, leading to increased patient satisfaction and more successful outcomes.
Steps How to Become
- Complete a High School Diploma or GED. Before starting any career in the medical field, potential students must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Enroll in an Accredited Surgical Technology Program. An accredited program is the best way to ensure that you will receive the best training and education necessary to become a surgical nursing technician.
- Participate in Clinical Experiences. Clinical experiences are part of the accredited program, and they provide students with hands-on experience and practical knowledge in a medical setting.
- Pass the Certification Exam. Upon completing the program, students must take and pass the certification exam. This is required in order to become a certified surgical nursing technician and work in the field.
- Obtain State Licensure. Some states may require that surgical nursing technicians obtain a license before they can practice in the state. Requirements for licensure vary by state, so it is important to check with your states board of nursing to find out what is required.
- Maintain Certification. In order to stay certified, surgical nursing technicians must complete continuing education credits and take periodic recertification exams.
Surgical nursing technicians play an important role in providing patient care and safety in the operating room. As such, they need to be well-trained and efficient in order to ensure the best outcome for patients. Proper training and education are essential for surgical nursing technicians to understand how to safely and effectively perform their duties.
they should have a good understanding of infection control protocols, sterile technique, and optimal patient positioning during surgery. Furthermore, they should be familiar with the latest medical technology and equipment used in the operating room. By having efficient and knowledgeable surgical nursing technicians, hospitals can provide the highest level of patient care and safety.
- Assisting in the preparation of the operating room and related areas for surgical procedures.
- Assisting the surgical team in transferring and positioning patients for procedures.
- Providing instrumentation and supplies for surgical procedures.
- Maintaining a sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Performing sterile dressing changes.
- Cleaning, organizing, and restocking supplies and equipment after procedures.
- Assisting in the transport of patients to and from the operating room.
- Monitoring vital signs of patients during procedures.
- Observing and reporting any changes in patient status.
- Working with other healthcare professionals to provide quality patient care.
Skills and Competencies to Have
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology
- Ability to use medical instruments and equipment
- Ability to recognize abnormalities in patient vital signs
- Ability to follow infection control protocols
- Ability to set up sterile fields
- Knowledge of aseptic technique
- Ability to provide postoperative care
- Knowledge of standard operating procedures for the operating room
- Knowledge of pharmacology and medication administration
- Ability to provide patient education on pre and postoperative care
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to recognize and respond to emergency situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
Surgical nursing technicians play an important role in the healthcare system, and their skills are essential for successful patient care. One of the most important skills for a surgical nursing technician to have is the ability to stay organized. Being organized allows a surgical nursing technician to quickly find and access the necessary equipment, as well as keep track of vital patient information.
staying organized helps to ensure that each patient's care is carried out efficiently and accurately. Another important skill that surgical nursing technicians need is the ability to work well under pressure. Performing surgical procedures often requires quick thinking and fast decision making, so having the ability to remain calm and level-headed in stressful situations is essential.
Finally, excellent communication skills are a must for any surgical nursing technician. Being able to clearly communicate with patients, doctors, and other healthcare professionals helps to ensure that everyone involved is on the same page and that the best possible care is provided. All of these skills are important for surgical nursing technicians to possess in order to provide the highest quality of care to their patients.
Frequent Interview Questions
- What experience do you have as a Surgical Nursing Technician?
- What challenges have you faced in a surgical setting and how did you overcome them?
- How do you work with other health care professionals to ensure patient safety during surgery?
- What kind of procedures are you comfortable performing?
- How do you stay up-to-date on the latest surgical techniques and protocols?
- Describe a time when you worked with a difficult surgeon or surgical team.
- What do you think is the most important aspect of being a Surgical Nursing Technician?
- How do you handle pressure or difficult situations in an operating room?
- How do you ensure sterile technique is maintained in the operating room?
- What do you think sets you apart from other candidates for this position?
Common Tools in Industry
- Surgical Scissors. Used for cutting through tissue during surgical procedures (eg: Metzenbaum Scissors).
- Surgical Forceps. Used to grab, hold, and maneuver delicate tissue during surgical procedures (eg: Adson Forceps).
- Surgical Retractors. Used to hold back and separate tissue during surgical procedures (eg: Bookwalter Retractors).
- Surgical Needles. Used for suturing tissue during surgical procedures (eg: Reverse Cutting Needles).
- Surgical Suction Devices. Used to remove fluids from the surgical site (eg: Oakes Suction Device).
- Surgical Drills. Used to bore holes into bones or other hard tissue during surgical procedures (eg: Orthopedic Drill).
- Surgical Lights. Used to provide illumination during a surgical procedure (eg: Halogen Lights).
- Surgical Tables. Used to position the patient during a surgical procedure (eg: Operating Table).
- Surgical Instruments. A variety of tools used for various tasks during a surgical procedure (eg: Scalpels).
- Surgical Clamps. Used to hold tissue or organs in place during a surgical procedure (eg: DeBakey Clamps).
Professional Organizations to Know
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Emergency Nurses Association (ENA)
- National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN)
- National Federation of Licensed Practical Nurses (NFLPN)
- The Association for the Advancement of Wound Care (AAWC)
- Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN)
- The Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
Common Important Terms
- Perioperative Nursing. This specialty focuses on care before, during, and after surgery. It includes preoperative assessment and preparation, intraoperative monitoring and management, as well as postoperative care and rehabilitation.
- Operating Room Nurse. Also known as an OR nurse, this nurse is a specialized perioperative nurse who works in the operating room. They are responsible for patient care, including preoperative assessment, intraoperative monitoring and management, and post-surgical management.
- Anesthesia Technician. An anesthesia technician is responsible for preparing the operating room for surgery, including setting up the anesthesia machines, IVs and other equipment. They also provide assistance to the anesthesiologist during surgical procedures.
- Surgical Technologist. A surgical technologist is responsible for preparing the operating room for surgery, including setting up the surgical instruments and equipment. They also provide assistance to the surgeon during surgical procedures.
- Surgical First Assistant. A surgical first assistant is a healthcare professional who works closely with the surgeon during a surgical procedure. They are responsible for providing direct assistance to the surgeon throughout the procedure.
- Surgical Nursing Technician. A surgical nursing technician is a healthcare professional who provides direct assistance to the surgeon during a surgical procedure. They are responsible for providing patient care, including preoperative assessment and preparation, intraoperative monitoring and management, as well as postoperative care and rehabilitation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Surgical Nursing Technician?
A Surgical Nursing Technician is a health care professional who assists surgeons and other medical staff during surgical procedures. They help to prepare the operating room and ensure that all necessary equipment and supplies are available.
What duties does a Surgical Nursing Technician perform?
The duties of a Surgical Nursing Technician include pre-operative and post-operative patient care, setting up operating rooms, sterilizing instruments, maintaining patient records, and preparing specimens for analysis.
What qualifications are necessary to become a Surgical Nursing Technician?
To become a Surgical Nursing Technician, one must typically have an Associate's degree in Nursing, a certification in surgical technology, and several years of experience in a medical setting.
What is the average salary for a Surgical Nursing Technician?
The average salary for a Surgical Nursing Technician is approximately $44,000 per year.
What is the job outlook for Surgical Nursing Technicians?
The job outlook for Surgical Nursing Technicians is expected to be positive over the next 10 years, with an estimated growth of 16%.
What are jobs related with Surgical Nursing Technician?
- Surgical Technologist - Explore Health Care Careers - Mayo college.mayo.edu
- Training Program for Surgical Technician in Detroit, abcott.edu
- Surgical Nurse Job Description and Career Guide www.wgu.edu